OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2012

From:
Terri Martincic <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Terri Martincic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2012 11:32:02 -0500
Black  River Audubon Society March Penguin Event

Many of us as children can fondly  remember going to the zoo to see exotic
animals, like penguins cavorting in the  snow. For many of us these remain
only as memories. For Tom Leiden, the study of  penguins has become an
important part of his life.

Leiden, CEO and President of the Leiden  Cabinet Company, will present his
talk, Day in the Life of an African Penguin,  March 6 at 7 pm at the
Carlisle Reservation Visitor Center, 12882 Diagonal Road,  LaGrange.
“I have always been fascinated by penguins,” explained Leiden, “And in
2007 we jumped at the chance to go on an  expedition with EarthWatch to Robben
Island, South  Africa to assist researchers studying the  African penguin.”
The enlightening experience left them hooked, according to Leiden. He and
his wife,  Kathy traveled back to South  Africa seven more times to visit the
penguins  and help researchers. Leiden will discuss the plight of the
African  penguin and what we can do to help.

Leiden is a Trustee at Mystic Aquarium & Institute for Exploration and an
Honorary Trustee of the Cleveland Museum of Natural History.
This free program is sponsored by the Black River Audubon Society.

Black River Audubon Society Bluebird Monitor Meeting:

The Black River Audubon Society would like to invite current Lorain County
bluebird monitors and those  interested in volunteering or learning about
bluebird trails to a meeting on  Saturday, March 10 at 2 pm at the Elyria
YWCA.

Data will be reviewed from  last year's efforts along with discussing
new ideas, updating the monitor list  and recruiting new volunteers to
monitor existing bluebird trails or help  provide or repair nest boxes.

If you are interested in  volunteering to help local bluebirds, please
make plans to attend this important  meeting. For more information about speakers,
 volunteering or memberships log onto
www.blackriveraudubon.org (http://www.blackriveraudubon.org/) or call 440-322-0820.