OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2012

From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Mar 2012 20:41:24 -0400
It was an interesting morning.  There was a good early movement of geese and
swans.  Of note was a flock of 23 snow geese.  Dabblers and divers were
scarce with low numbers of mergs and 6 goldeneye.  there were a bit more
gulls than yesterday with a glaucous gull being of interest.  A common loon
was also seen.

Songbird migration was good this morning with lots of blackbirds and robins.
The interesting thing about the songbirds were they were all flying west.
Typically songbird migration heads east here.  Totals for this morning were
American crow- 380+, Eastern bluebird- 16, American robin- 2550, blackbirds-
12,000+ (grackles were most common followed by red-winged blackbird,
cowbird, then rusty blackbird), eastern meadowlark-3, COMMON REDPOLL- 35,
PINE SISKIN-2.   I also had a flock of 6 WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILLS briefly
land in a tall spruce.

Lakeshore Waterbird Survey
North Perry, Lake County
March 11, 2012, 715-1015