OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2012

From:
Bill Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2012 10:29:58 -0400
Mill Creek Wildlife Sanctuary in Mahoning County is hosting great numbers of waterfowl again this year. Sixteen species of ducks totaling over 1000 birds are feeding there at present. This sanctuary was designed  with migrating shorebirds as the "umbrella" species, so managing this almost 300-acre  wetland, upland and creek/floodplain for shorebirds also creates habitat and forage for an average of 170 species per year (historically almost 300 species) -- in the midst of sprawl just minutes from Youngstown.

The refuge should be added to the IBAs, if that program is ever restarted by Audubon. Anyone interested can find species lists for several years on eBird (yes, another plug for this amazing program ) under:  View and Explore Data -- United States -- Ohio -- Hot Spots -- Mill Creek Wildlife Sanctuary (Restricted Access).  Access for serious birders and conservationists is available by emailing me.

Bill Jones