OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2012

From:
Margaret Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Margaret Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2012 16:06:54 -0400
There are two Eurasian collared-doves nest building behind the post office in Kidron.  The address is 4698 Kidron Road.  If you use a GPS and it doesn't recognize this as a Kidron address, try in-putting Dalton for the "City".  That's what worked with mine.  If you pull into the drive on the south side of the post office, there is a small parking area in the back, shared by the nearby pizza place.  I parked beside the horse rail.  There's a white privacy fence at the back of the parking area.  Facing the fence, the Eur Collared-doves are in a tree to the left and behind the fence, visible without trespassing beyond the fence.  The one on the nest is not visible unless it moves.  The presumed mate was bringing nesting materials to the nest site - that's how I detected them both, as well as the nest,which is well camouflaged in a crotch slightly to the left of center of the gnarly tree.

Thanks to Kent Miller for reporting that these birds had returned after an absence in February.  I believe Kent reported 4 birds, but I only saw two.

Margaret Bowman
Newark, Licking Co., OH