OHIO-BIRDS Archives

March 2012

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2012 20:06:29 -0400
While birding a few areas around this south Columbus suburb, I found a Greater White-fronted Goose hanging out with a flock of Canada Geese at Cruiser Park.  The geese were foraging around the athletic fields west of Cruiser Pond, but they also would fly into the pond on occasion. If past patterns for this flock hold true, they might also be found in several of the wet spots along Old Hamilton Rd here.  The bird is rather easy to spot due to its smaller size and pale pink-orange legs.

I also stopped at the Blacklick Towpath park and Walnut Woods, and built up a fairly decent list of species.  Other birds of interest included:
Green-winged Teal - a flock of 16+ in the ponds along Richardson Rd at Walnut Woods
N.Shoveler - 2 pair between Cruiser Pond and the Old Hamilton pools
Gadwall - 5 in Cruiser Pond
Turkey Vulture - 1-2 at most places
Phoebe - 1 calling at the Towpath Park
Tree Swallows - 4-5 chattering and defending prospective nest cavities in the snags at Cruiser Pond
Golden-cr.Kinglets - small #s at the Towpath Park and in the pines at Walnut Woods
E.Towhee - 1 singing along the towpath trail in the Towpath park
Fox Sparrow - 2 in the thickets along the old towpath, and another in a thicket along the bikepath at Walnut Woods
Cowbirds - numbers at every stop, topped by 10 at Cruiser Pond

Walnut Woods had the least interesting bird life, but more than made up for it with calling frogs.  I heard 6 different chorus concentrations along the bikepath loop here, with a total estimate of 220+ Spring Peepers.  And this was in the middle of the afternoon.  The place must be deafening at night.