From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Apr 2012 17:40:39 -0400
I hit several areas around this MetroPark along Big Darby Creek west of Columbus this morning, then even went nosing around several areas along Little Darby Creek, even farther west into the Darby Plains. I stopped at Beach Rd, Darby Bend Lakes, Sycamore Plains, Little Darby Road, and Little Darby Preserve.  There was a modest fallout of migrants and, to keep things interesting, even a small clump of shorebirds at Darby Bend Lakes.  Notables included:

Waterfowl - not much other than the expected Geese, Wood Ducks, and Mallards.  Several pairs of geese at Darby Bend Lakes had flotillas of goslings.  The only unusual birds were a Common Loon and a Red-br.Merganser at Darby Bend lakes.

Shorebirds - Darby Bend Lakes had 6 Spotted Sandpipers, 2 Pectorals, and 1 Lesser Yellowlegs, along with the expected Kildeer

Flycatchers - Phoebe and Great Crested were at Darby Bend lakes

Swallows - low #s at all spots, but Darby Bend Lakes had Banks along with the expected Barn-Tree-Rough-winged trio

Vireos - good numbers, with 9 Warbling Vireos at Darby Bend Lakes and nearby Beach Rd, while Sycamore Plains had 2 singing White-eyed, 2 singing Blue-headed, and 1 singing Yellow-throated

Wrens,Kinglet - House Wrens were abundnat at every location.  Darby Bend Lakes (DBL) had a lingering Ruby-cr.Kinglet.

Thrushes - calling Wood Thrushes were at every stop, but never more than 2

Mimids - plenty of Catbirds at all stops, while singing Brown Thrashers were at Beach rd, Sycamore Plains, and Little Darby Road

Pipits - 5 were feeding on the old gravel flats at Darby Bend Lakes

Warblers - Yellow-rumps still dominant,with 6-12 at every stop.  Other species included Yellow (3 at DBL), Nashville (several), Yellow-throated (3 at DBL), Black-thr.Green (4 at Sycamore Plains), Palm (DBL), and Common Yellowthroats (2-4 at every stop)

Sparrows - Chipping & Fields abundant, at many locations, but I couldn't find any Savannahs despite being in good habitat for much of the morning.  Small flocks of White-throats were at DBL and Sycamore Plains, while 2 White-crowns were at the latter.

Orioles - Baltimores were at several spots along the Creek (Beach Rd, DBL, SycPlains), while a singing Orchard was at DBL

Almost more numerous than the birds were butterflies, especially Red Admirals.  Once the air warmed (after about 9:30), they were everywhere.  I had hundreds over the course of the morning.