From:
Al La Sala <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Al La Sala <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Apr 2012 17:58:13 -0400
Sorry for the late post.  I was so exhausted when I got home yesterday
that it was all I could do to scrounge dinner for myself.
My first stop of the day yesterday was Lazelle Woods where I checked boxes
and then did some birding.  The best bird there was my first of season
blue gray gnatcatcher.  After reading postings about them in other parts
of the state, I was beginning to worry that they'd never come to Columbus.

The next stop was the Alum Creek bike trail in Westerville where I saw my
first of season yellow-throated warbler.  Yellow-Rumped Warblers and White-
Throated Sparrows abouned.  As usual, there were a lot of Eastern
Bluebirds flying around at that location.

Since I was in the neighborhood, I decided to stop at Sharon Woods and see
if the Common Loon was still on Schrock Lake.  It was but it stayed far
from shore making photo-ops and good looks impossible.  I was somewhat
disappointed so I went to Antrim Lake where I expected to see at least one
loon.

I arrived at Antrim Lake shortly after noon and immediately saw four
Common Loons.  I even got to watch one of them take off.  It was fun
watching him run across the surface of the water.  A walk around the lake
turned up two more Commom Loons, three Lesser Scaup, and a Horned Grebe in
non breeding plumage.  By the time I left around 3:30, there were still
five loons on the Lake.  I went back there today after work but only two
loons remain.  The scaup were still there but the grebe was nowhere to be
seen.

Al La Sala
Columbus, OH