From:
Sandra Buckles <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sandra Buckles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Apr 2012 21:30:46 -0400
 LECTURE
PROGRAM
Wednesday, April 11 at 7:00 p.m.
Rare
Book Room
Cleveland Museum of Natural
History
A MUSICAL
APPROACH TO BIRDSONG:
EAR TRAINING TECHNIQUES FOR BIRDERS
Dr. Lisa Rainsong
Cleveland Institute of
Music

Birds
are highly-skilled musicians! Avian and human music share many common elements
such as rhythm, phrasing, pitch, and tone quality. Listening to bird songs as
music can to help us identify, compare, and remember what we hear more
effectively than relying exclusively on memorization.
Using an approach derived from teaching music appreciation
and ear training classes, Cleveland Institute of Music faculty member Dr. Lisa
Rainsong will help you develop your ability to recognize and identify the avian
music around you. Whether you are currently learning the songs of common birds,
trying to distinguish the many variations of Tufted Titmouse and Song Sparrow
songs, or planning to finally learn all those warbler songs this spring, a
music-based approach will help you better understand the repertoire of these
accomplished singers.
Lisa Rainsong holds a
Doctor of Musical Arts in Composition from the Cleveland Institute of Music and
is a member of CIM’s music theory faculty. A professional soprano as well as a
teacher and composer, she sings with both Apollo’s Fire and Quire Cleveland. She
earned a Naturalist Certificate from the Cleveland Museum of Natural History and
now teaches bird song classes and does field recording of bird songs and insect
songs. She has been awarded Small Research Grants from the Geauga Park District
in 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012 for cricket and katydid surveys - research work
that is done primarily by ear.

Sandy Buckles

"We must strive to touch the land gently and care for it as true stewards that those who follow us may see our mark on the land was one of respect and love....."( From a trail marker at Settler's Cove, near Ketchikan , Alaska.)
Robert B. Oetting