From:
Jason Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 12 Apr 2012 17:45:48 -0400
The Ottawa National Wildlife Refuge is expanding wildlife observation

opportunities for birdwatchers and other outdoor enthusiasts.

Over the coming months the refuge will be working to improve the visitor

experience by enhancing wildlife viewing opportunities through expanded

auto tour dates and time, developing new and improving existing trails,

overlooks, and other public use facilities. The Refuge Auto Tour has been a

place where such rarities as Vermillion Flycatcher, White Ibis, Ruff, and

others unique species have shown up over the years. The auto tour is a 7

mile self-guided route through wetlands, prairie, and woodlands.  In

addition the Ottawa National Wildlife Refuge Association is working with

various regional partners to develop two new birder friendly facilities: a

new lake front trail with access from the Magee Marsh parking area and a

shorebird view platform.  Please stop by the refuge or check for updates on

the refuge’s website and/or Facebook pages if you want more information

about these two new birder friendly projects.

The economic benefits of wildlife refuges to the surrounding communities

are undeniable. Equally important is that refuges are home to some of the

nation's most treasured, iconic and rare wildlife and habitats. They are

important assets to the community, evoking a deeply meaningful sense of

place connecting people to the land and our wildlife treasures. Ohio has a

wealth of natural resources for all to enjoy. I have been extremely

impressed with the passion and commitment of our bird conservation partners

and the visiting public.  I am committed to making sure all of your refuge

visits are memorable, evoking a connection to Ottawa National Wildlife

Refuge that will inspire you to return. I invite you all to check out the

refuge on Facebook or visit our refuge website for regular updates and

refuge information. The refuge website will be getting a new look in the

coming months, which I hope will improve the way the refuge provides

regular up-to-date information.

The refuge auto tour will be open for Saturday April 14th from 8 am to 4

pm; I’m sorry for the short notice. This opening is an effort to provide

our visitors an opportunity to view the spring shorebird response in a few

units that have been drawn down to provide high quality migratory bird

habitat. Over the last few days hundreds of greater and lesser yellowlegs,

dunlin and pectoral sandpipers have been present on these mudflats.  We

will provide an updated report of what is being seen on the auto tour on

Saturday via Facebook and other outlets. I hope some of you can make the

trip to the refuge this weekend; I’ll be out there myself birding and

enjoying the early spring migration.

Furthermore, beginning April 21st the auto tour entrance will be moved to

the visitor center parking lot.  This will give refuge visitors a

convenient place to stop before entering the seven mile route, thus making

it easier to learn about the auto tour, find the entrance, and pick up

information.  Historically the auto tour has been open one day during the

weekend; however, starting April 21st the refuge will expand the dates to

include both Saturdays and Sundays.  Therefore, whenever possible, when the

auto tour is open on a Saturday, it will also be open Sunday of that same

weekend. In addition to expanded weekends, the auto tour will also be open

some holidays and special events.  Please check our website or Facebook

page for a complete list of dates.

http://www.fws.gov/midwest/Ottawa/auto_tours.htm. As an added bonus the May

12 and 13 auto tour route will be open from sunrise to sunset to celebrate

International Migratory Bird Day and to give birders a rare sunrise

experience on the refuge.  The auto tour is normally open 8 am - 4 pm with

the exit gate closing at 5:30 pm.

Finally, the refuge will be offering bus trips to various points of

interest on both Ottawa and Cedar Point NWRs throughout the month of May.

Seating is limited and you must make a reservation by calling the Visitor

Center.  Busses will leave from the Ottawa National Wildlife Refuge Visitor

Center parking lot at 7 am and trips will last about 3 hours.  Refuge staff

will be driving the bus and will gladly interpret refuge management and

your wildlife experience during the tour. Please check the refuge website

or Facebook page for a list of tour dates or even stop by or call the

Visitor Center if you have questions.  There will be a lot of activity on

the refuge during May. Black Swamp Bird Observatory has some great programs

planned in the Visitor Center and a host of bus trips during the Biggest

Week in American Birding. In addition, the Ottawa National Wildlife Refuge

Association will be hosting some programs and activities during

International Migratory Bird Day May 12 and 13. There will be lots to do

and I hope good birding to go with all the great programs and events.

Please call the refuge at 419-898-0014 between 9 am and 4 pm for more

information.

I hope these expanded dates and times and guide interpretive tours will

give you all the opportunity to enjoy Ottawa National Wildlife Refuge.

Please feel free to contact the refuge if you have any questions or

concerns or want to reserve a seat on one of the bus trips. I look forward

to seeing you all during the spring migration.  I’m sure it will be a

memorable experience, as always. I want to Thank OOS for allowing me to

provide you all this refuge update. Ohio is blessed with great bird

conservation leaders from Lake Erie to the Ohio River.

Good Birding,

Jason

Jason P. Lewis

Refuge Manager