From:
Robert Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robert Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Apr 2012 13:59:46 -0400
This morning Jane and I took a more leisurely-paced walked around the
property of Valhalla Acres Fiber Farm, our 57-acre "yard" on Flint Ridge in
western Muskingum County. She was shooting photos of the wildflowers, and I
encouraged her to take her time as I soaked in the birdlife.

A Louisiana waterthrush has been singing heartily near Valhalla Falls since
April 5. (All location names are our own, and will mean nothing to others,
but they are posted here for my own reference.) This morning was no
exception. Annually, this is our first warbler.

A pair of brown creepers was a highlight, one of them singing up a storm,
in that faint but exuberant brown creeper kind of way. I see this species
every year here, but they are never exactly common.

The mockingbirds are back. From 2000 until 2007 we had a mocker that would
overwinter, but lately this has become a migrant arrival in springtime.
It's always good to see them come back. I saw one evening around dusk, as I
was out in the bluebird trail engaging myself into the sparrow wars (more
about that below.) Brown thrashers have been around since March 21. No
catbirds yet.

Methinks I heard the first common yellowthroat of the season, while Jane
was photographing the Virginia bluebells near the Beech Point. I am not
certain, since it was distant, calling from somewhere up near the Back
Forty. Common yealowthroats are annually quite common here, with usually
four or five territories and nests.

As I mentioned, last evening Jane was at a spinning meeting (those who use
spinning wheels and pursue the fiber arts.) And so, I took the opportunity
to venture out on the "bluebird" trail and examined all seven boxes. Not
everyone feels this way, but I regard house sparrows as a scourge:
non-native, aggressive interlopers. I wish I did not have to travel so much
on business, and that I had more time to foster and ensure the success of
the right species, bluebirds and tree swallows. But I do what I can. If you
don't like the unpleasant realities of the sparrow wars I suggest you read
no further. I haven't been seeing tree sparrows around, and I find this a
little alarming, since they are usually common, successful nesters.

 ---

My results in the field at this point in the season are not too
encouraging, with one notable exception. I guess the sparrows got a huge
head start with the early spring.

I cleaned out box #1 of a house sparrow nest March 21, and there was
another sparrow nest started with no eggs, cleaned out again.

Box #2 - five sparrow eggs, cleaned out. Box #3 - four sparrow eggs,
cleaned out. Box #4 - four sparrow eggs, cleaned out. Box #5, a nest of
indeterminate species - no eggs or adults nearby. I left it and will
monitor again today to determine action.

Box #6 - a wonderful clutch of four beautiful bluebird eggs! Finally...

Box #7 - a disheartening find of a dead male tree swallow in the bottom of
the box, No nest or eggs, just the remains of the swallow with its head
beat in, undoubtedly by a house sparrow. Cleaned out.

After my excursion around the Back Forty, I sat as dusk fell by the
campfire site that overlooks #s 4, 5, 6 and 7. In the dimming light I saw a
bluebird return to #6.

We will see what happens from here out. I am mostly home for the spring,
with the exception of 5 days next week and another five in May. I resolve
to be diligent. I must order another Van Ert trap since I can't seem to
find mine.

Bob Evans
Geologist, etc.
Hopewell Township, Muskingum County