From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Apr 2012 14:32:19 -0400
We birded around Guilford Lake this morning from 8:45AM to 11:30AM. No rarities today, but excitement with some new arrivals for the year and a nice varity of birdlife. 56 species were recorded. The temperature rose to 55 degrees, and the lake surface was placidly reflective. Some vandalism took place since our last visit, with someone stealing the bathroom door off the hinges at the Red Maple Landing parking lot. There is now an enclosed throne with a view of the lake! Our best sighting was 2 male Greater Scaup. At the public beach area were: Caspian Tern~3,  Forster's Tern~4,  Bonaparte's Gull~45+, and Greater Yellowlegs~1. On the mudlats at the north end of Campground Bay were: Lesser Yellowlegs~4,  Wilson's Snipe~2,  Spotted Sandpiper~1,  Green-winged Teal~1 pair,  and an adult Bald Eagle~1. On the main body of the lake were: Common Loon~1,  Ruddy Duck~40+,  Lesser Scaup~22, and Gadwall~4, just to name a few.

Bob and Denise Lane / Damascus~Mahoning County