From:
Heather A <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Heather A <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Apr 2012 16:21:19 -0400
Hello, everyone!  I spent roughly an hour at Lake Logan (Hocking County)
this morning, where I was highly outnumbered by all fishermen on the lake.
I don't know anything about fishing, but my guess is that today was a good
day for it.  Anyway, the waterfowl findings were actually a little more slim
than I had anticipated, but the swallows were certainly abundant.  Lots of
Tree and Northern Rough-wings.  Also saw 2 Double-crested Cormorants, 5
Ring-billed Gulls at the beach, a pair of Wood Ducks, 2 Great Egrets and 8
Great Blue Herons, and several small rafts of American Coots (and of course
there were plenty of Mallards and Canada Geese).  My last stop was at the
Mute Swan nest.  As I was walking away from it, here comes the Common
Moorhen walking toward me along the other side of the road.  I probably
wouldn't have seen it if it weren't up so close to the road like that.  I
kept a respectable distance, but it was not at all wary of me.  It didn't
even seem to mind when I did a little boogie - yes, this was a life bird for
me!

Another interesting sight while I was there was a pair of American Crows
that were having eggs for breakfast - literally.  I saw them fly by, each
carrying in their beaks something round and whiteish and just about as big
as their heads.  Both landed across the lake, but one was where I could
still see it.  I watched as it "stomped" on the egg with one foot, and poked
at it with its beak until the shell finally cracked and it got to the
insides.  I had seen one crow harassing a Red-tailed Hawk about 15 minutes
prior, and I wonder if that's whose eggs they took.

Good birding to you all!
Heather Aubke
Albany, OH