Date:
Sat, 14 Apr 2012 22:48:25 +0000
My apologies for the last e-mail.  I didn't understand how eBird sharing worked and thought it would send the list, not the link.  My mistake.

I birded Armleder Park in Hamilton County this afternoon.  Despite the spotty rain, I had a very productive couple of hours.

Following Jay Lehman's directions, I concentrated on the south end of the park, from the dog exercise area to the Little Miami River and Duck Creek.

I found the WARBLING VIREO (FOS) and PROTHONOTARY WARBLER (also FOS) right where Jay said they would be.  The vireo was singing from the woods on the right of the paved path as you walk back from the south shelter house towards the river (heard, not seen) and the warbler was along the trail that follows the Little Miami to the Duck Creek.  Good, though brief, looks at him.

Maybe my best discovery was a large number of White-crowned Sparrows. I estimated about 40 birds altogether. At least two dozen were concentrated in the trees and brush along the north fence of the large dog area (the one to the right of the covered entryway), many of them singing.  The rest were scattered in groups of 3-5 throughout the south end of the park.  I had never heard WC Sparrows sing (other than on CDs) and I was enthralled listening to them as I slowly walked the inner fence line of the dog area while my pup ran around and played.

Trip List:
Mourning Dove, 1 Belted Kingfisher, Red-bellied Woodpecker, 1 Warbling Vireo, Blue Jay, Tree Swallow, 1 Barn Swallow, Carolina Chickadee, Tufted Titmouse, Carolina Wren, 2 Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, 2 Ruby-crowned Kinglet, 1
Eastern Bluebird (M), American Robin, European Starling, 1 Prothonotary Warbler (M), Song Sparrow,White-throated Sparrow, about 40 White-crowned Sparrows (many of them singing), Northern Cardinal, Red-winged Blackbird, Eastern Meadowlark, 2 Brown-headed Cowbird (1 M, 1 F), 1 House Finch (M), American Goldfinch