From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Apr 2012 22:13:01 -0400
I was part of an Ohio Leps trip to southern Shawnee looking for early Spring butterflies (with some success, as the rain didn't start much until after noon).  Bird fallout there was surprisingly light, with no big waves of migrants despite the weather.  We spent most of the late morning along the Pond Run and Panorama Point areas in the far southern region of the park.  Migrant birds noted included
Broad-winged Hawk
Sapsucker
Ruby-cr.Kinglets - 2
Gnatcatchers - 4-5
Warblers - Black&White - 1;  Yellow-throated - 5 along Pond Run;  Yellow-rumped - 3; Louisiana Waterthrush - 2 along Pond Run
E.Towhees - 2-3
Chipping Sparrow - many
White-throated Sparrows - 4

Butterflies included Zebra, Tiger, & Spicebush Swallowtails; Clouded & Orange Sulphurs; Red-banded hairstreaks (12-14), E.Tailed Blues, Red Admirals, American Lady; Juvenals, Horace's & Sleepy Duskywings; Zabulon & Hobomok Skippers.  we also had eggs & young larvae of Dusky Azures, but no adults.