From:
Alex Champagne <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alex Champagne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Apr 2012 12:23:56 -0400
The OSU Ornithology class birded Scioto Audubon this morning, and found a
few neotropical migrants mixed in with the temperate migrants.  We did not
see the Red-headed Woodpecker or Indigo Bunting reported on Monday, but our
highlights included (Numbers in parentheses):

Green Heron (1) - Perched in the trees on the Whittier Peninsula.

Osprey (2) - As posted by Rob Thorn, nesting on a light pole in the old
impound lot.  They can be seen on the right side of the road to the nature
center building just past the turnoff to the boat launch area.

Solitary Sandpiper (1) - Foraging in the mud flat at the base of the
Whittier Pensinsula, near the observation deck.

Caspian Tern (1) - Caught a fish in the Scioto River, and kept flying southward.

Warbling Vireo (2)

Cliff Swallow (1) - Flying over the river near the highway bridge at the
north end of the park.

House Wren (2)

Pine Warbler (1)
Yellow-rumped Warbler (40)
Yellow-throated Warbler (1)

We thought we heard snippets of Palm and Nashville Warbler songs, but we
were never able to confirm.  There is construction going on just south of
the park, so ambient noise is high.

Good birding,
Alex Champagne
Graduate Teaching Associate