From:
Haans Petruschke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Haans Petruschke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Apr 2012 20:18:55 -0400
April 1 2012,

I have not been able to locate the owl for several hours, and after being
up since 0200 am really running out of gas. Time to call it a day.  Keep in
mind the Ohio List-serve going back to its inception, has a long history of
mega rarities showing up on April first, so it is always wise to be
cognizant of this date as one where anything is possible.

That said I an very pleased that so many expressed their enjoyment of my
report of this unbelievable find. For those who found themselves sucked in
to the excitement of the moment, all I can say is it was all in good fun.
 This is not some ego trip that experts, elitists, or the in crowd, use to
belittle others.  Rather it is a chance for those of us who try to
be impeccable in our integrity 364 days a year to let loose and have some
artful fun.

Speaking of artful, check out Julie Zickefoose's blog post today. Not only
was there the Stygian Owl in Ohio, but a new species has evolved in West
Virginia as a result of mountain top removal mining:

http://juliezickefoose.blogspot.com/2012/04/new-bird-species-in-north-america.html

I must also point out that I was unaware that on April 1, 2009, Jim
McCormac reported a prior incedent of Stygian Owl in Ohio:

http://jimmccormac.blogspot.**com/2009/03/stygian-owl-in-**ohio.html<http://jimmccormac.blogspot.com/2009/03/stygian-owl-in-ohio.html>

Had I known this I would not have been so diligent if tracking down the
"woofs" early this morning and would have found some other mega rarity to
report.

I will leave you with this:  Unless we can make fun of the things we are
most passionate about, we are not really living.

Unapologetically,

Haans