From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Apr 2012 21:27:21 -0400
Upon our arrival at Guilford Lake at 5PM, we were immediately looking at two gorgeous, adult male White-winged Scoters. Upon our departure at 7PM in the rain, they had moved into the massive raft of mixed waterfowl species, that were apparently huddling up for the night. Being mixed in with this large group, they were still easily found with their large size and jet black coloration. The orange on the bill, and the white slash under the eye were readily seen. Another interesting happening was that one of the Common Loons in breeding plumage, was yodeling. Guilford Lake was a birding bonanza during our visit today. Here are the highlights: Ruddy Duck ~ 182+, Bonaparte's Gull ~ 36+, Double-crested Cormorant ~ 30+, American Coot ~ 128+, Northern Shoveler ~ 18, Common Loon ~ 9, Tree Swallow ~ 200+, Bufflehead ~ 22, Green-winged Teal ~ 22, Wood Duck ~ 8, Lesser Scaup ~ 68+, Ring-necked Duck ~ 8, Red-breasted Merganser ~ 55+, Pied-billed Grebe ~12, Horned Grebe ~ 10, Herring Gull ~ 5, Mute Swan ~ 4, and Osprey ~ 1. Guilford Lake State Park is located in Columbiana County, four miles west of the town of Lisbon, or nine miles south of the town of Salem, and is just north of, and accessed from SR172. Today's best viewing was from the parking lot at Mark's Landing on the southeast side of the lake off of SR172; scope the lake to the west. To help guarantee seeing all the birds, it is suggested lapping all of the lake, and stopping at the numerous vantage points. A scope is necessary!

Bob and Denise Lane / Damascus~Mahoning County