From:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Apr 2012 05:26:44 +0000
I haven't seen this mentioned on the listserve, but there's a strikingly patterned duck present at Ottawa National Wildlife Refuge (Ottawa / Lucas counties, n.w. Ohio) that could be very confusing for birders who run across it unexpectedly. As far as I know, the bird was first seen by Sherrie Duris on the impoundment visible from the east end of Ottawa-Lucas Road (far west side of the refuge) on Sunday April 15; Ethan Kistler and I saw it later that day at the same location. It has been seen a few times since, most recently by Dave and Jill Russell on the evening of Saturday April 21, and it seems to be moving around the southern part of the refuge.

This duck's strong pattern doesn't suggest a hybrid at first glance: it has bright white cheeks, sharply set off from a dark cap and nape, and a moderately heavy black bill. You can see photos of similar birds at this link: http://bit.ly/IitL5q The ID is far from self-evident, but careful study of such birds has indicated that they are Northern Shoveler X Gadwall hybrids.

The Ottawa NWR auto tour will be open Sunday, April 22, from 8 to 4. Even when the auto tour is closed, this duck might be found at the east end of Ottawa-Lucas Road, or on impoundments along the hiking trails in the eastern part of the refuge. Of course it doesn't "count" for any list, but it's a rare and fascinating individual, worth watching for if you're going to be in the area.

Kenn Kaufman
Oak Harbor, OH