Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2012 13:47:22 -0400
I  spent this morning at Area N of the Hoover Nature Preserve (Galena, Del.
Co.) to  monitor the arrival status of Prothonotary Warblers, plus see what
else was  kicking about, and last, to police the litter that fishermen have
been leaving  behind. I always marvel at their ability to carry the full
containers into the  preserve, but their inability to then muster the strength
to carry the empties  back out when they leave.
The  Prothonotary Warblers numbers are picking up. This morning I observed
14 males.  I ran into a couple I know who visit Area N every year after I
report the  Prothonotaries have returned. While we were talking a brightly
colored male flew  in close and began gleaning insects from a thin dead tree.
It was almost as if  he were there to greet them and myself. All observers
were impressed with his  beauty and antics.
Several  other warbler species were present including Northern Parula,
Louisiana  Waterthrush, Yellow-throated, Black-throated Green and of course the
army of  Yellow-rumped Warblers. Warbling Vireos are increasing in numbers,
3 Red-headed  Woodpeckers were seen, and the back areas had Blue-winged
Teal, Wood Ducks and a  Pied-billed Grebe. The Osprey are ever present at
Platform 2.
The  birds made carrying out the 100 gallons of trash easier to take. Two
bags into  the trunk to go to the recycle drop-off and the rest left at the
trash can for  the maintenance staff to pick up. I wonder if I can get away
with calling this  part of my exercise regiment.
The  total list of species observed follows.
Charlie  Bombaci
Hoover  Nature Preserve
SPECIES  LIST
Pied-billed  Grebe (1)