From:
Jim McCormac <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim McCormac <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Apr 2012 07:00:43 -0400
Hi all,

Congratulations to Andy Jones for his wonderful find. Bernie Master and I visited the site yesterday morning, and as Andy noted, the birds are extremely easy to find by following the instructions that he provided to this listserv.

I would say this is more of a people management issue than anything else. The crows have chosen a very suburbanized area for their nest, which sits near the top of a large red oak in someone’s front yard. There is a lot of activity in the neighborhood, even without birders, and the home’s driveway, nearly under the nest, is under construction. If you visit, just park down Rocklyn Street several houses or more from the nest, and you’ll see the Fish Crows as they fly about the area.

At least some neighbors are aware of the birds and their rarity, and have been curious about the people with binoculars on the street. I’m sure this block has never experienced a birder invasion, so obviously respect and deference to the homeowners is in order  I’m sure all of the residents will know all about Fish Crows before long.

I made a post about these birds on my blog, including photos of the birds and the lay of the land, if you are interested: http://jimmccormac.blogspot.com/

Jim

Jim McCormac
Columbus, Ohio