From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Apr 2012 18:11:54 -0400
This afternoon, Wednesday April 25th, I received an e-mail message from Ashtabula County birder Bob Krajeski, of North Ridgeville, referred to as "The Mayor" by some of us who visit "The Conneaut Sandspit" on a regular basis. Here is an excerpt of his message to me: Hope you're doing well and seeing some good birds. I'm fine, but the birding up this way has been slow of late. We've always had some good times over the years in Conneaut, but I think this may be the beginning of the end as far as birdwatching is concerned. An article in The Ashtabula Star Beacon yesterday, April 24, left me very disenchanted. I've always known that The Port Authority's ultimate goal was to develop the sandbar. I just didn't think it would be so drastic or happen so soon. This summer should hopefully be OK for birding, but I've got bad feelings about the future. To see the newspaper story, Google (Thomas Belknap To Lead Conneaut's Port Panel). I, Bob Lane, who have had numerous wonderful birding experiences at "The Conneaut Sandspit", feel that it would be hard to imagine these changes taking place to one of the premier birding sites in Ohio, haven for unusual and rare migrating birds, and the only drive on beach area on the Ohio shores of Lake Erie.

Bob Lane / sent from a jobsite in Willow Island, West Virgina