From:
Dave Slager <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Slager <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Apr 2012 18:28:37 -0400
Hi Gene,

Thanks for posting these photos; dark-mantled gulls are always a great
find for Franklin County.  Great Black-backed Gull can be ruled out
because the mantle, although quite dark, is still much paler than the
primaries.  On Great Black-backed Gull the mantle would be so blackish
that there would be little or no contrast with the black folded
primaries.  Great Black-backed Gulls also have quite a bit larger bill
than this bird, and would appear significantly larger than the
adjacent Herring Gull.

This bird can be aged as a 2nd cycle gull because the gray mantle has
already come in but the brownish wing coverts are still largely
retained the there are not yet any white "mirrors" visible in the
folded primary tips.

This 2nd cycle gull looks like a Lesser Black-backed Gull.  While
adult Lesser Black-backeds have yellow legs, immatures can maintain
pinkish legs through their 2nd winter, and according to Sibley most
have yellow legs by their 3rd winter.  Of all the dark-mantled gulls,
Lesser Black-backed is the most likely to occur at inland locations in
Ohio.

Good birding,
Dave Slager
Columbus, Ohio