From:
"Coy, Patrick G." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Coy, Patrick G.
Date:
Thu, 26 Apr 2012 08:35:40 -0400
With re' to the post suggesting that discussions about birds beyond mere sharing of sightings is somehow not what this Ohio-birds ListServ does, and that those looking for discussions on the ecology of Ohio birds should turn to a particular Facebook page, this suggestion runs counter to the guidelines for this ListServ.

"What is Ohio-birds?
Ohio-birds is an email discussion list (mailing list) for Ohio birders and those interested in Ohio birds. Subscribers to Ohio-birds are able to:
--share information about bird sightings in Ohio
--review the most recent bird sighting reports and rare bird alerts from across the state
--learn (and ask) about places to look for birds in Ohio
--discuss and debate the occurrence, distribution, identification, and ecology of Ohio birds.
Ohio-birds encourages the open discussion of Ohio birds and birding. In general, we ask that participants limit their messages to matters related to birds and birding within our state."

I would much prefer that we strive to follow the guidelines and encourage reasoned discussions and debate about the occurrence, distribution, identification, and ecology of Ohio birds on this list. I welcome the too few occurrences of such discussions on Ohio-birds and hope we will nurture it here rather than diverting it to a group Facebook page.

Kind regards,
--Patrick Coy
Peninsula, OH