Date:
Thu, 26 Apr 2012 19:47:35 -0400

There  was some nice activity at Areas M and N of the Hoover Nature
Preserve today. The  probable top on the list was a Lesser Black-backed Gull. Jim
Fry had been  searching for it in the area of the docks above Hoover Dam. It
had been  previously reported at that location several times. For Jim –
Nada. He gave me a  call as he was looking for his FOY Prothonotary Warbler and
a Red-headed  Woodpecker, both of which I had reported the day before. We
went to Areas M/N in  Galena and quickly got Jim his Prothonotary Warbler, a
beautiful male who was  all showoff.  As we began to head  for the Red-headed
Woodpecker nest site we stopped to view the Osprey at  Platform No. 2 and
in the background we noticed a line of gulls on the  boardwalk. Closer
inspection disclosed that the elusive Lesser Black-backed Gull  might be sitting
in the middle of the group. We circled around picking up the  Red-headed
Woodpecker on the way and headed out on the boardwalk at Area M.  There among
the Ring-billed Gulls were about 7 Herring Gulls, a dozen  Bonaparte’s Gulls,
5-6 Common Terns, and the Lesser Black-backed Gull. Later  scanning the
water off the boardwalk we spotted a flotilla of Common Loons in  breeding
plumage and a merganser hen. Tree, Barn and Rough-winged Swallows were  do
aerobatics over the water, snatching insects in mid-air. Last, the Osprey  changed
shifts at the nest platform. One adult soared in, and then the other  left
the nest with the newcomer snuggling down on the nest. After a break for
dinner I returned with my wife and we watched an adult land with a fish. Both
adults took position at the edge of the nest and little heads popped up
looking  for their dinners.
My  total list for the day at Areas M and N follows.
Charlie  Bombaci
Hoover  Nature Preserve
SPECIES  LIST
Common  Loon