From:
Andy Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andy Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Apr 2012 15:37:21 -0400
Hi Ohio birders:

We now have TWO Fish Crow nests in Shaker Heights.  The second nest was
discovered today, just south of the Nature Center at Shaker Lakes.  Hans
Clebsch discovered the nest, and asked me to forward the sighting to the
listserv.

I've confirmed the identification thanks to a recording Hans made, and
have also received comments supporting the identification from Kevin
McGowan and Caleb Putnam.

This second nest is very close to where Laura Gooch recorded Fish Crows
with her microphone in May 2011, and to where Katrina Heinzen reported a
probable Fish Crow a little over a month ago.

Congratulations to Hans on this sighting!

Fish Crows have apparently been here, under our noses (and ears!) for
several years.  The nest that Michelle Leighty and I found was being
attended by helpers, presumably from a successful nesting in the area in
2011.  Since my first posting about this species, I have received
several private e-mails from people in the Shaker Heights area that have
heard Fish Crow-like noises for several years, and in one case, a
decade. The Fish Crow populations in our larger region - western NY,
southwestern MI, southern ONT - rarely, if ever, give the two-noted "uh
uh" call that many of us hear when we go birding/vacationing along the
Gulf and Atlantic coasts and coastal plain.

To everyone in the Cleveland area: get out there and confirm that your
neighborhood crow is who you think they are!

Keep in mind that female American Crows give a nasal begging call this
time of year that could be confused with Fish Crow.  Check out Kevin
McGowan's excellent site again to make sure you can tell them apart:

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/crows/FishCrow.htm

Andy
--
Andy Jones, Ph.D.