From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Apr 2012 14:15:01 -0400
I spent most of this cold morning hiking around several areas in these two adjacent parks NE of Columbus.  The weather was cold but not too bad until noon, when the rain and sleet moved in.  I visited the Streamside & Overlook trails at Blendon, then went on to the Hoover Nature Trail, Hoover dam, Maxtown launch, Sunbury Causeway, and Oxbow Island.  I didn't get up to Galena to look for the Willets; shorebirds were fairly scarce in most areas of the reservoir as the water levels were very high.  The cold snap did drop some unusual numbers into the area, though, especially for

Ducks - an odd late movement included 8 Gadwall, 2 Shovelers, and 40 Ruddies off the Walnut St. Boat launch

Gulls - perhaps 140+ Ring-bills around the reservoir (up from far fewer last week), but more unusual were 40 Herring Gulls.  Most of them were juveniles, and the bulk of them were hanging around the docks freshly put out at the marina by the dam.

Loons - 4 were in the lower reservoir and 2 were up by the Sunbury causeway

Flycatchers - despite the cold, 2 Phoebes and a Great Crested were hunting for bugs along the forested edge of the dam spillway

Swallows - great day for watching them, as the cold forced large flocks to swirl over the surface of the reservoir looking for cold-hardy bugs hatching out.  The dam spillway, Maxtown area, and Sunbury causeway had large flocks, and I had over 2000 for the morning.  The large majority were Barns; I estimated 1500+.  Most of the rest were Tree and Cliff, but I also had a handful of Bank and Rough-winged.

Vireos - Warblings were calling or singing from many shore areas along Hoover, while singing White-eyed were at Blendon and Hoover dam.

Gnatcatchers - good numbers at most stops, topped by 10 in a half hour along the Hoover Nature Trail.  I had 25-30 for the morning.

Mimids - Catbirds were singing in many areas; I saw perhaps 20 over the course of 4 hours.  Thrashers were singing along the Hoover Nature Trail and on Oxbow Island.

Warblers - quite a few Yellow-rumps were on the move, and I picked through them to find other species, including Nashville, Yellow, Yellow-throated, Black-thr.Green, Palm (Oxbow Island), Prothonotary (Oxbow Island and Duncan Glen), Hooded (Blendon), and both Waterthrushes [Blendon had 3 Louisianas singing along the forest trails, while a Northern was singing at the Sunbury causeway)

Tanagers - at least 2 Scarlets were singing along the Streamside Trail at Blendon

Orioles - no big numbers, but I did have calling males at 4 different locations