From:
"Bruce M. Bowman" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 28 Apr 2012 18:41:38 -0400
I agree whole-heartedly with Mary about the Swift Audubon 8.5x44 porro.
The sharp image this binoc gives you matches or exceeds that of all
higher-priced binocs I have tested in A-B comparisons (at optics sales
tents.)  I still use the old Model 804.  The newer design (still porro
prism) is the 820, or with ED glass, the 820ED.  (There is also a Swift
Audubon 8.5x44 roof prism version.  I have no experience with this one.)

The Vortex Viper HD 8x42 roof, another mid-priced binoc, is reportedly
also very good.  I'd like to test it against my Swift for center-of-field
resolution.

I've been told that the reason Swift binocs are seldom reviewed is that
the company does not respond to requests for optics for testing.

Bruce