From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Apr 2012 19:31:17 -0400
The Conneaut Sandspit Area did not disappoint today. We birded from 1PM to 3:15PM, recording 38 species. When we departed everything I am about to report was still there including the previously reported Piping Plover, the bird of the day! Photos were taken. The little celebrity cutie was definitely carrying some serious leg gear. A blue band was on the lower left; a green band on the lower right; a metal band above the green; and an orange tag on the upper right. How would you like to carry all that hardware around? There were a lot of good birds this afternoon; the following is some of them: Greater Scaup ~ 1 pair, Dunlin in breeding plumage ~ 3, Lesser Black-backed Gull ~ 1 late adult, the previously reported Bonaparte's Gulls and Caspian Terns, Black Crowned Night-Herons ~ 1 adult & 2 juvies, 7 Greater Yellowlegs, 12 Lesser Yellowlegs, 5 Great Black-backed Gulls, 1 Great Egret, and a good variety of waterfowl including: Common Loon, American Coot, Blue-winged Teal, Ring-necked Duck, Lesser Scaup, Bufflehead, Red-breasted Merganser, Pied-billed Grebe, and Horned Grebe. 4 juvenile Bald Eagles were on the east breakwall. The usual local sandspit entertainment today, was a couple of adult adolescents doing donuts in the sand with their pickup trucks, other than that, the place was ours! Once again, I want to make visitors aware of the fact, that the access around the bay to The Sandspit is in a new location, be careful of the soft sand. For those who have never been to this productive birding site, follow SR7 north from I-90, doing a jog thru downtown Conneaut, continue north on SR7 to Lake Erie, at the bottom of the hill go thru the marina parking area and continue west along the lagoon to the end of the pavement and bear right onto the sand road. Continue to the water and follow the waters edge to the right out onto The Sandspit. If you do not want to risk getting stuck in the sand, park and walk after you reach the water. Even sandspit know-it-all veterans can get stuck occasionally. Don't be one of them!  Bob and Denise Lane / Damascus~Mahoning County