From:
Steve Cagan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Cagan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Apr 2012 17:30:39 -0400
Hi all,

This morning there was sunshine for the Nature Center at Shaker Lakes
walk‹the first two Audubon walks were held in gray and blustery
weather‹though it was considerably colder that the previous Sundays. Things
started warming up, and insect activity became visible, just as we were all
leavingŠ.

The birds we had were:

Canada Goose
Wood Duck
Mallard
Hooded Merganser (two females)
Pied-billed Grebe
Great Blue Heron
Green Heron
Killdeer
Spotted Sandpiper
Solitary Sandpiper
Lesser Yellowlegs
Rock Pigeon
Mourning Dove
Chimney Swift
Belted Kingfisher
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Eastern Phoebe
Blue Jay
Northern Rough-winged Swallow
Barn Swallow
Black-caped Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
White-breasted Nuthatch
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Eastern Bluebird (this is quite an unusual bird for Shaker Lakes)
Hermit Thrush (at one point we saw about half a dozen at onceŠ)
American Robin
Brown Thrasher (gave us great views and a recital from a treetop)
Nashville Warbler
Yellow Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Pine Warbler
Palm Warbler
Chipping Sparrow
Song Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow
Northern Cardinal
Red-winged Blackbird
Common Grackle
Brown-headed Cowbird
American Goldfinch
House Sparrow.

The birds of the day were the Bluebird and the ThrasherŠ

On another trip, yesterday, Beth and I went to The Wilderness Center, in
Wilmot (Stark Coiunty). Cold, wind, and little showers of snowŠ we had a
good walk, with perhaps 30 wildflower species. But few bird species:

Turkey Vulture
Canada Goose
Mallard
Wood Duck