From:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Apr 2012 15:41:15 +0000
Hello Birders,

In the Magee Marsh / Ottawa NWR region of n.w. Ohio, migration had been a little slow through Sunday April 29. Weather conditions Sunday night didn't look very good for producing much overnight migration, but this morning (Monday April 30) there are substantial numbers of new arrivals in the area. Both oriole species and Rose-breasted Grosbeaks are especially noticeable today, but Ethan Kistler reports that at least 9 species of warblers were right around the Black Swamp Bird Observatory this morning. Many of these birds may have just pushed on north from central or southern Ohio overnight, despite the lack of favorable winds, and it appears they were stopped in this area by rain showers early in the morning.

Birding should be excellent in this area for the rest of the week, but it looks as if Wednesday and Thursday, May 2 and 3 (and probably also Friday May 4), might be particularly good for large arrivals of migrants. As usual at this time of year, we're providing updates and predictions on the migration at this link: http://cranecreekbirding.blogspot.com/

I've recently updated the BSBO birding maps for Magee Marsh and Metzger Marsh Wildlife Areas and Ottawa National Wildlife Refuge, and they're available for free downloading and printing from this link: http://www.bsbobird.org/birding/birding_hotspots.htm Scroll down to the entries for Metzger, Ottawa, and Magee for the links to the specific maps. Note that we have 3 different maps for Ottawa NWR (overview, trails, and auto tour) and 2 for Magee Marsh (overview and a detailed map of the boardwalk). The latter shows the exact locations of the numbers along the boardwalk, very useful for communicating the whereabouts of specific birds. If you're not set up to print the maps, you can get free copies of them at the Black Swamp Bird Observatory, just north of Rt. 2 at the entrance to Magee Marsh Wildlife Area.

We're getting close to the full rush of migration! I hope to see many of you out in the field.

Kenn Kaufman
Oak Harbor, Ohio