From:
Su Snyder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Su Snyder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Apr 2012 15:05:33 -0400
Hi all:  After I got home from the lake yesterday, I went out to Killbuck
Marsh to see if I could find the YELLOW-CROWNED NIGHT-HERON that Bruce Glick
reported.  I met up with Yoder cousins: John, James E., and Raymond.  John
was the first to spot the heron.  When I left at 4:20PM, it was walking
about 30 feet from the road in thick tree cover.  Another group saw it again
after 8:00PM.  Today I got a call from Andy Troyer, who saw TWO at this same
spot over the weekend.  This is the same area where a nest was found in
2006.  Unfortunately, in June of that summer the nest was partially blown
down during a bad storm and abandoned.

To get to this spot from Wooster, take 83 South.  Turn right on to Messner
Road.  Turn left on to Valley Road just before the railroad track.  Start
looking for the birds on the left, just after a small curve.  They have been
seen wading/walking between this curve and the parking space by the
primitive walking path.  Su Snyder, Wooster