Date:
Thu, 5 Apr 2012 00:04:22 -0400
The extremely cooperative American Bittern is still present as of Wednesday evening at the location in Rocky River Reservation, Cleveland Metroparks, as described in several posts below. Originally found by Natalie Moore, a Cleveland Metroparks naturalist, it continues to put on elaborate point-blank shows for excited observers. Bring your camera. It may stick around for one or two more days... I have received dozens of texts, calls and emails from victorious birders who have added this stunner to their life, state and year lists. What an incredible opportunity to view and appreciate this typically-cryptic and low-profile species. I heard word that the bird was as close as 25 feet off the hike and bike trail today, which is simply mind-boggling. Typical views of this bird have been from 60 to 200 feet away. It actively hunts frogs and fish. Good luck and best of birding, and stay tuned for more migration updates.

See http://www.northnw.wordpress.com for photos and directions.

JB

Jen Brumfield
Cleveland, OH