From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Apr 2012 11:14:40 -0400
I have not been to the Magee Marsh boardwalk for a while, but some
photos I've seen recently seem disturbing. Apparently (in response to
inquiries about this) a web page has appeared at
http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Home/News/NewsReleaseArchives/tabid/19075/EntryId/2736/Emerald-Ash-Borer-Impacts-Woods-Along-Magee-Marsh-Boardwalk.aspx

announcing the Division of Wildlife has cut down many large and small
ash trees to prevent injuries to visitors when these trees die as a
result of emerald ash borer infestation. The photos, taken by others,
show a much-denuded area, including vegetation near the stumps and areas
where these trees fell, and I have been told still more trees have been
marked for later removal. No one has mentioned this on this forum.
        In view of the popularity and iconic significance of this small beach
ridge to wildlife observers, I am surprised to see no other publicity on
this clearing. Does BSBO have anything to say, as they regard this
feature as their signal attraction?
        Of course, a violent storm, hardly unknown along the Lake shore, could
have wrought similar or even larger damage to this site. But I wonder if
there would have been a lot more hand-wringing at such a disaster than
there has been about one wrought by a government wildlife agency.
        Important patches of habitat disappear, often by means of human error.
Sadly, seldom do patches of important habitat appear by the same means.
Probably numbers of Lake Erie migrants will not greatly decrease if this
little spot, so endeared to bird observers, winks out, but I hope folks
who care about birds will learn something about habitat preservation as
a result.
Bill Whan
Columbus