From:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2012 01:17:51 +0000
Hello Birders,

In the Magee Marsh / Ottawa National Wildlife Refuge area of northwest Ohio, spring migration is mostly on a normal schedule at this point. A few notably early birds have shown up, and some wintering birds (including American Tree Sparrows and some waterfowl) may be pulling out earlier than usual, but for the most part we're seeing the birds we would expect during the first week of April. Good numbers of Fox Sparrows, Hermit Thrushes, Rusty Blackbirds, both kinglets, Winter Wrens, Blue-winged Teal, and Pectoral Sandpipers are passing through, while summering species like Purple Martin and Brown Thrasher are showing up at their usual haunts.

Looking at current weather forecasts (which are subject to change, of course!), it appears that no new migrants are likely to show up between now and Saturday; but there could be a good movement Saturday night, producing many new arrivals on Sunday, April 8. For more details on the state of the migration, and conditions at many of the birding sites, see http://cranecreekbirding.blogspot.com/ As usual at this time of year, Black Swamp Bird Observatory (BSBO) will be using that site to provide updates on the migration in this popular region.

If you are unfamiliar with places to go in n.w. Ohio, remember that BSBO also provides "birding maps" for many sites, available free for downloading from http://www.bsbo.org/Birding/birding_hotspots.htm Our maps for Magee Marsh Wildlife Area and Metzger Marsh Wildlife Area have been updated recently, and updates to others are in the works.

It's an exciting time of year ... wherever you are, I hope you have a chance to get out and enjoy some birds this weekend!

Kenn Kaufman
Oak Harbor, Ohio