From:
Haans Petruschke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Haans Petruschke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Apr 2012 03:22:16 -0400
April 1, 2012,

There is an ultra rare Stygian Owl in Kirtland Ohio

I was laying awake around 2:30 am just listening as is my habit.  I heard a
single "WOOF" in the distance that sounded owl like,  but was not like a
Long-earred Owl.  My curiosity peaked when I heard this 4 more times,  I
put on shoes and a coat, grabbed my bins and night vision gear, and went
out to investigate.  I heard the call 3 more times and it lead me across
the creek and up Gildersleeve mountain to the Ledges Parking area.  Yet
another "WOOF" caught my attention and I spotted the owl low in a tree.  It
was a little over a foot high and had long ear tufts.  I was thinking
Long-eared, but the shape did not look quite right.  Donning my night
vision goggles I was surprised to see closer spaced eyes, curved ear tufts
and a white forehead.  Not a Long earred! but what?  I had seen this bird
before.  I studied it for a good 10 minutes before the cold and sleep
started to call.  I was nearly a quarter mile from home and bed, so I
headed back.  I heard the "woof" 3 more times before crossing the creek and
nearly falling in.  Still bothered by the identity of the bird as I climbed
the stairs it hit me where I had seen this bird.  Stygian Owl in the
mountains of Mexico!  I pulled out Howell and Webb, and sure enough there
it was on plate 26.  Stygian Owl!

There is coffee on and I'm now wide awake.  I have my camera and am headed
out again in a few minutes.  This will be the first record of this species
north of Texas.  I guess our weird weather has resulted in a very weird
bird!

Directions:

Take the I90 east 2 exits past the I 271 to exit 193, the SR 306, Mentor
Kirtland Exit.  Take 306 south about 3 miles through the valley and
Kirtland. Lights at Lakeland CC, Kirtland Rd, Kirtland Chardon Rd., Joseph
Street, and Eagle Rd.  About 0.5 mile past Eagle turn right into Lake
Metroparks Chapin Forest Reservation.  Follow the park road to the last
parking area.  You should find me there or nearby.  I will be carrying my
mobile so you can email or call 440-216-6211 <440-352-6211> me, to get my
actual location.

Haans Petruschke
Kirtland