Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2012 19:21:12 -0400

Linda  and I made a sweep of Area M/N and Hoover Meadows at the Hoover
Nature Preserve,  Delaware County. Signs of Spring are popping up everywhere and
soon birders will  be in seventh heaven trying to decide which bird to
focus  on.
Area  M/N had all its regular cast of characters, but there were several
newcomers and  of course the nesting Osprey. Yellow-throated Warblers were
mixed in with a good  sized group of Yellow-rumped Warblers. At the first dip
in the old road going  south from Front Street in Galena we encountered a
mixed group of about 25  Yellow-rumped and 3-4 Yellow-throated Warblers. From
this vantage point you can  also view the Osprey platform although the best
viewing is from the boardwalk  that begins in the Area M parking lot.
We  walked along Big Walnut Creek where there was a breeding plumage Horned
Grebe  and Blue-winged Teal. Also seen here was a Red-headed  Woodpecker.
I  took an about way to Hoover Meadows via Vans Valley Road and Miller-Paul
Road.  On Miller-Paul we saw our FOY Purple Martin and many Horned  Larks.
Hoover  Meadows was flush with singing birds. Most of what one might expect
was there  but a few newbie’s have arrived. Among these were Fox Sparrows,
Field Sparrows,  Eastern Towhees and Hermit Thrushes. Tree Swallows and
Eastern Bluebirds were  everywhere. It is hard for me to remember when the
preserve first acquired this  91 acre tract. Back in 1987 it was an active
grazing pasture for cattle. Today  the meadows are a series of lush wetlands,
vernal pools, grasslands, pine grove  and forest. With TLC nature can recover
from past  disasters.
Charlie  Bombaci