From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2012 20:37:25 -0400
This afternoon about 4PM, we made a full lap around Guilford Lake. We recorded 42 species of birds during the visit. Our biggest highlights were 346+ Ruddy Ducks and 125+ Bonaparte's Gulls. A nice variety of waterfowl were still pesent; the following are the noteworthy ones: Mute Swan, Gadwall, Blue-winged Teal, Northern Shoveler, Lesser Scaup, Bufflehead, Red-breasted Merganser, Common Loon, Pied-billed Grebe, Horned Grebe, American Coot, and Double-crested Cormorant. An interesting observation took place in the marsh area below the causeway, one of the resident adult Bald Eagles was on the ground, hopping around, trying to unsuccessfully steal an extremely large fish from a Great Blue Heron. How amusingly pathetic!!!

Bob and Denise Lane / Damascus~Mahoning County