From:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Apr 2012 06:31:45 -0700
I hit some places in eastern Mahoning Co. yesterday afternoon.  First stop was at Pine L., which had: 4 green-winged teal, 10 lesser scaup, 3 buffleheads, hooded merganser, 225 ruddy ducks, 2 c. loons, 3 pied-billed grebes, horned grebe, 75 double-crested cormorants, bald eagle (on nest), Wilson's snipe, Bonaparte's gull, belted kingfisher, n. flicker, e. phoebe, 30 tree swallows, 3 barn swallows, and swamp sparrow.  Next I looked around Evans L.  It had: 8 gadwalls, 50 buffleheads, 3 red-breasted mergansers, 400 ruddy ducks, 2 horned grebes, 8 great blue herons, 50 Am. coots, and Carolina wren.  Then on to Poland Twp.; a flooded area by the township park held a greater yellowlegs, and a pair of hooded mergansers was on a nearby pond.  On the way home I checked on the great horned owl nest in Lowellville; mother owl was still on the nest, but I haven't seen any young yet.  Craig Holt, Lowellville