From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 May 2012 15:54:41 -0400
I hiked around several of the Battelle-Darby MetroPark accesses between Orient & Georgesville this morning, looking for late migrants or unusual strays. I stopped at Pleasant Valley access (outside Harrisburg), Indian Ridge, Wagtail Trail, and Cedar Ridge. I checked prairie areas at Indian Ridge, the Wagtail Trail, and along Darby Creek Drive for Dickcissels, but with no luck. Very few migrants, but several interesting strays, including:

Broad-winged Hawk - 1 was calling and soaring over the Terrace Trail at Indian Ridge.  This is the largest forest block along this stretch, so it would figure to attract this forest-loving hawk.  They're rare here outside of migration.

Yellow-billed Cuckoos - birds were calling at Pleasant Valley, Indian Ridge, and the Wagtail Trail, so they've arrived.

Willow Flycatchers - not unusual, but numbers seemed up, topped by 6-7 at Pleasant Valley

Yellow-bellied Flycatcher - another late migrant, this one along the Terrace Trail at Indian Ridge access.

Parula Warblers - formerly rare here, they've expanded during the last several years.  I had them at Indian Ridge, Wagtail Trail, & Cedar Ridge.

Louisiana Waterthrush - 1 was nervously chipping around a side ravine at Cedar Ridge.

Kentucky Warbler - one singing on territory along the Terrace Trail, virtually the only place along the Darby to expect them.

Yellow-br.Chats - singing birds at the Terrace Trail and the Wagtail Trail.  They breed sparingly in this vicinity.

Summer Tanagers - formerly rare here, but today I found singing males along both the Terrace Trail and at Cedar Ridge

Blue Grosbeak - not along the Darby, but a bird was singing along Youngs Rd on the west side of the Columbus Landfill

Savannah Sparrows - singing birds were along the north and west sides of the Landfill as well as at nearby Fryar Park

Orchard Orioles - singing males were on territory at Pleasant Valley and the Wagtail Trail