From:
Heather Raymond <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Heather Raymond <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 May 2012 09:57:11 -0700
I have been observing 2-3 common loons on Antrim Lake in Columbus for the past 5 weeks (I bike past this location on my daily commute to work).  I see loons on this lake on occasion every year in fall and spring, but usually they only stay for a day or two (by the time I post to listserve they are gone). Since I don't carry my scope on my bike, views are usually distant, but I can tell you this much- there are for sure two common loons, one in breeding and one in non-breeding plumage (juvenile?).  Last week I thought I perhaps saw a third breeding plumaged loon, but it was a distant look.  Antrim Lake is a cold groundwater fed quarry (25-30' deep) and ODNR stocks it in late March with rainbow trout.  Is it possible these loons will stay for the summer?  Is one perhaps injured?  Are they just stocking up on stupid farm-raised trout until they're fattened up for final migration?  Any possibility for breeding here (first fish crows, now loons
 ;-)?

With my luck they will probably decide to take the south wind home to Canada tonight and my question will be answered, but I'll let the listserve know if they persist into summer.

Other recent Olentangy River bikepath migrants:
Rose-breasted grosbeak
Baltimore Oriole
Warbling Vireo
White-eyed Vireo
Red-eyed Vireo
Northern Parula
LOTS of Yellow throated warblers
TONS of gnatcatchers
Yellow-billed cuckooKinglets seem to be gone
White-throated sparrows & DE juncos still around, but fewer numbers
Wood ducks are all starting to pair up

Oh, and for the Columbus folks that keep tabs on the OSU Olentangy night herons- I saw them all winter by the old student union, but they seem to be gone from that location (perhaps just hiding better in leafed out foliage?).  Any recent Olentangy river area observations of these guys?

Cheers,

Heather