From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 May 2012 19:08:23 -0700
I went to Villa Angela and Wildwood State Parks on the east side of Cleveland on Lake Erie today from 5:00pm til 7:15pm.  I am going to go out on a limb and say I think I found a Clay-colored Sparrow at Wildwood just before I was leaving.  Please check my pictures to say otherwise because I have never found one on my own before.  I did not have a lot of warbler diversity but there were more Yellow-rumped Warblers today than yesterday.  I was standing in Villa Angela near the grassy knoll and you could see many warblers flying closer to the  lake.  The middle of the woods to the lake were full of them.  Also activity in Wildwood.  There were also more Palm Warblers than I see here.  There was a Yellowlegs on the Villa Angela beach (I think greater?).  As I was walking back from the beach I turned around and noticed three shorebirds all together two of which were Willets.  The Yellowlegs was a little smaller than the Willets which were
 plainer, more pale and fluffier.  Here are just a few of the birds seen:

Red-breasted Mergansers 10
Coopers Hawk 1 (looking for Yellow-rumps)
Yellowlegs (Greater?) 1
Willets 2
Caspian Tern 1
Least Flycatcher 1
Eastern Kingbird 1 (near beach)
Red-eyed Vireo 1

Warblers:
Yellow - many
Yellow-rumped Warblers 50-60
Palm Warblers 12
Black-and-White 1
Ovenbird 2
Common Yellowthroats 5

White-crowned Sparrows 6
White-throated Sparrows - some
Chipping Sparrows 3

Clay-colored Sparrow 1 (unless someone tells me otherwise)  it was on the west side of Euclid Creek very near Lakeshore Blvd feeding in the grass with Chipping Sparrows and White-crowned Sparrows.  It had lighter colored lores, some buffy on upper breast and more striped patterns on head.  It didn't seem to match an immature Chipping Sparrow from the descriptions in the books.  It reminded me of some of the pictures seen on Jenn's blog otherwise I wouldn't of thought about it.

Nancy Anderson
Richmond Heights, OH
NE Cuyahoga County
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nancy_a/