Date:
Tue, 8 May 2012 22:00:19 -0400

Today I hosted Logan Kahle of San  Francisco for the third time. Logan is
an enthusiastic 16 year-old with a  passion for birding. We had a terrific
day with numerous great finds from early  morning until we finished up in the
late afternoon. Logan had his camera and the  birds seem to have their
passion to pose for pictures to the point of seeming  like hams. Considering it
rained on us as we drove to our starting location, I  wasn’t sure that we
wouldn’t be skunked this time out. It wasn’t to be as the  final tally for the
day was 109 species.
We  began the day at Blackhand Gorge State Nature Preserve in Licking
County.  Highlights included up close views of Yellow-breasted Chats, Prairie
Warblers,  Blue-winged Warblers, Scarlet Tanagers, Summer Tanagers among
others. .After  giving Blackhand good coverage we continued at Blendon woods Metro
Park in  Franklin County adding additional warblers. The activity was slow
but steady as  we worked the Pond Trail, Brookside Trail, Overlook Trail and
Hickory Ridge  Trail.
Next  we headed to my home grounds, the Hoover Nature Preserve. There Logan
was  treated to a show by a male Prothonotary Warbler that apparently
wanted a career  in modeling as he posed, posed and posed some more. This bird
knew how to work  the camera. We checked the boardwalk at Area M where there
were Ring-billed and  Herring Gulls, plus Caspian, Forester and Common Terns,
and the day’s surprise,  a Glaucous Gull. Logan’s camera got a workout.
Our  final area of coverage was along Longshore Road in Delaware County
where we  checked out flooded farm fields. This paid off with a field of
Black-bellied  Plovers, Long-billed Dowitchers, Short-billed Dowitchers and a lone
Killdeer. My  old bones feeling their age, we called it a day. A fun day
spent with a special  and talented young man. Our list follows.
Charlie  Bombaci, for Logan and myself
SPECIES  LIST
1. Common Loon
2. Double-crested  Cormorant