From:
Haans Petruschke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Haans Petruschke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2012 19:44:10 -0400
Hi,

I have looked over the OBCI plans. They are professional and well done, the
mission of the OBCI is not about birding areas, but bird conservation and
habitat in general.  A good cause, but this is not the issue at hand.  In
order to get the birding community behind habitat restoration and invasive
plant replacement issues, efforts must first concentrate on areas used by
birders to find and watch birds.  If this is not the concentration, and the
effort is not highly visible to people visiting birding areas, it will go
the way of all previous initiatives.  That is: It will fail to gain wide
spread support.

I would hope the OBCI is willing to cooperate with efforts to restore
habitat and replace invasive plants in areas which are important to the
birding community, such as the Mentor Headlands. As far as overall
bird conservation goes, this area has little importance, yet it is one of
the most important and well known birding areas in the state. As a result
it might be very low priority on an overall conservation plan, but is very
high in priority for birders.  An inherent conflict which needs to be
resolved for any effort to succeed.

Haans Petruschke
Kirtland