From:
Brian Parsons <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brian Parsons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 May 2012 09:19:00 -0400
Hi - The Holden Arboretum has lots of experience with the large scale
propagation of native shrubs for restoration projects and is more than
willing to participate with leading propagation workshops and as a potential
source of some easy to propagate shrub species. Please count us in as a
player. We are actively growing native shrubs for our own large scale
restoration projects we would be glad to offer workshop space and practical
demonstrations of propagation techniques.

I would also put forward that in NE OH, CMNH, Lake SWCD, all NE OH IBA
landholders, LEAP, ODNR, and OH Nurserymen all have large roles to play in
plant selection, propagation, and distribution. Lots to think about and lots
of planning and commitment will be required to handle planting Headlands SNP
alone, not to mention long term maintenance.

Size requirements for cover species during migration and the types of food
that need to be available in Spring are key pieces of the puzzle. CMNH
should be able to steer stakeholders to what should be at Headlands besides
Invasive Honeysuckles. Cutting and replacing stands of invasive honeysuckles
with 6-8 ft native plants can be done if one has 2 years of lead time though
so a question of staging becomes and issue. Native friendly nurseries like
Klyn would be a great partner as well.

At Holden staff to contact would be myself, [log in to unmask] and Roger
Gettig, [log in to unmask]