From:
Haans Petruschke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Haans Petruschke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 May 2012 14:59:46 -0400
Hi,

I just received this from Anders Fjeldstad.  I know some folks from ODNR
watch this list and perhaps they can clarify or put a stop to what seems
senseless given the predominant usage of the preserve.  It is completely
ineffective to remove no non native plants unless they are immediately
replaced with native species.  So cut down the honeysuckle and without
immediately putting in a native species, another invasive like Glossy
Buckthorn or Multiflora Rose will just take its place.

Haans Petruschke
Kirtland

Dear All :  I just got back from Headlands Dunes State Nature Preserve in
Lake County ;  it's the beginning of May and the first waves of Warblers
should be coming thru ;  well, what I saw there just about gave me another
Heart Attack ;   ADAM WOHLOVER, the Preserve Manager there ( even tho there
is no longer any Natural Areas and Preserves !! ) is CUTTING DOWN and
REMOVING all the alien Honeysuckle Bushes on the old Preserve (!! )  ;

     I tried to tell him and his crew that they didn't know what they were
doing ( probably the wrong thing to say but I was a little upset ) ;  the
Warblers were going show up any day know, land in those alien bushes and
eat the bugs;  so they should NOT be cutting them down; he tells me that
he's managing this Preserve for the dune plants  and not the birds ;  and
we birders can just go somewhere else !!  I pointed out the state had just
spent a lot of money promoting Headlands as a Birding Hotspot and he was
destroying that promotion with his chain saws ;  some of the fence is also
down and much of the area has also been cut up by ATV and equipment ;

   I argued with him by he assured me several times that he knew exactly
what he was doing and and on my way home I started to think that maybe he
was right ;  he has worked for the state for a few years now at the Dunes
;  he has to know that May is Warbler month and what cutting down the
bushes will do ;  I think he's on a power trip and is showing us wimpy
birders who is in charge !!  Our response --- I guess it's letter and phone
call time again !!  But HEADLANDS HAS BEEN DESTROYED as a Birding Hotspot
!!

##### ANDERS FJELDSTAD  #####