From:
Paul Hurtado <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Hurtado <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 May 2012 07:57:08 -0400
Yesterday evening my wife, sister in-law and son Alex went for a walk along
the Darby Creek Trail north from the Kuhlwein Rd. parking area.  Walking
through the first set of wetlands, we crossed Darby Creek Dr. west which
eventually turned up good looks at 2 male Orchard Orioles (1ad, 1im), my
FOY Eastern Kingbirds, a pair of American Bitterns flying laps around the
wetlands, and a handful of other typical species for the area.

Kuhlwein Rd. Checklist:

Trail NW of the Darby Creek Dr. crossing:

On the walk back, a Eurasian Collared-Dove (EUCD) flew past, coming in from
the west then turning and flying south.  My wife and sister-in-law were a
few hundred yards ahead and didn't get to see the bird.  I see EUCD, MODO,
ROPI and WW Dove regularly in CO (I almost always see all 4 species from my
parents yard when I'm visiting home!) and while I didn't get great looks at
plumage details on this bird (bad light) I did get good enough looks at the
bird on it's initial pass and more distant looks as it flew south away from
me to rule out WWDO. My description from the field (I submitted the ebird
checklist in the field using the BirdLog app. on my phone):

"Flew across the road @ 8:40pm where the trail crosses the road NW of the
Kuhlwein Rd wetlands, then flew south out of site. ID based on heavy build
relative to MODO, squared off tail, no white in the wings."

I'll add that my initial impression was ECDO, but being in OH I had to do a
double take.  Definitely too chunky and tail to square to be a MODO, and
too "dove like" to be a ROPI, which do occasionally fly over these wetlands
but I've never seen them this low (below the treetops, maybe 20-30 feet off
the ground?).  Body color was also briefly seen and seemed lighter
(consistent with MODO, WWDO, EUCD but not ROPI) but I never got good looks
at wing and tail color due to the fading light.

The bird powered off to the south, staying below treetop level, so it
likely roosted in the area -- there's a good chance it could stick around,
or only move a short ways up or down the Battelle Darby Creek.

If you're out birding in the Battelle-Darby Creek area (including Prairie
Oaks Metro Park, north across I-70) definitely keep a look out for this
bird!  Also, make sure you "keep an ear out" for their vocalizations:

SONG: a repeated three syllable "coo COOOOO coo":
           http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/eurasian_collared-dove/sounds

CALLS: Often (at least in CO) I hear them making these "grunting" calls:
           http://www.xeno-canto.org/95790

Good birding,
Paul Hurtado