From:
Sean Artman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sean Artman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 May 2012 13:24:14 -0400
Took a lazy afternoon walk at Morgan Swamp yesterday. Another friendly birder
there reported a Scarlet Tanager and a cooperative Hooded Warbler seen right
by the platform. When I got there (the path is pretty short), I heard 2
hooded farther off in the woods and got close-up looks at pair of Blue-gray
Gnatcatchers.

Some of the best birding is right by the parking lot in an overgrown orchard.
On Friday it contained a Least Flycatcher, Common Yellowthroats, and Field
Sparrows.

Here's my eBird checklist:

Sunny afternoons aren't the greatest for birding but there are plenty of
butterflies and dragonflies around. I saw Red Admiral, Monarch, Mourning
Cloak, Question Mark, and a mosiac darner dragonfly.

Other birds which can be expected at Morgan Swamp:
Great Blue Heron
Bald Eagle
Red-shouldered Hawk
Black-billed Cuckoo
woodpeckers
flycatchers
Blue-winged Warbler
Rose-breasted Grosbeak
Indigo Bunting
Baltimore Oriole

If you do head out here in the boondocks and are looking for birdy areas,
there are several parking areas along the Western Reserve Greenway, a paved
bike path that runs from Ashtabula to Orwell and beyond. It's an old railroad
bed. If you park at Eagleville-- there's a parking lot for the Greenway on
Jefferson-Eagleville Road, off Route 45 north of Rock Creek-- and travel
north, the trail goes through some choice habitats and crosses Mill Creek.
Everything from warblers to kingfishers in a short distance.
http://www.ashtabulacountymetroparks.org/trail.htm

Sean Artman
Rock Creek, Ohio