From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 May 2012 17:30:46 -0400
While visiting a few areas along the southwest shore of Alum Creek Lake today, I found a singing Prairie Warbler.  It was in secondary sucessional fields along the Plumb Rd access, was singing well into the afternoon, and there was very little migrant activity in the area.  These fields are in a stage that had lots of other sucessional birds, including White-eyed Vireo, Catbirds, Thrashers, House Wrens, Common Yellowthroats, and Field Sparrows, all of which are resident here. This habitat could conceivably host a Prairie Warbler as well.  It's only about 70 meters west along the old road, in case anyone wants to check up on it.  I will try to revisit it later this week.

Migrant activity here and at the nearby Mountain Bike Trail was slight, with mostly resident Red-eyed Vireos, Acadian Flycatchers, Wood Pewees, Scarlet Tanagers, and Wood Thrushes in the wooded areas, and the above-mentioned list of birds in the sucessional field areas.  The Mountain Bike Trail ravine had a singing Louisiana Waterthrush, but they breed here so it's a likely resident.