From:
Tom Bain <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2012 22:12:14 -0400
Franklin's Gull
Red-necked Phalarope
Dickcissel
Grasshopper Sparrow
American Bittern, more...

A single alternate plumage Franklin's Gull flew low over the silo
foundations along the east side of the road a short distance south of the
Red-necked Phalarope location described most recently by Paul Gardner,
below. Its broken eye-ring gleamed in low evening side-light as it passed
just over our heads around 8:00 PM. The phalarope was an easy find thanks to
posted instructions. Jackie and I joined forces with Jeff Pontious to walk
the field and wetlands. We found Grasshopper Sparrow numerous, a single
over-flight American Bittern and another booming briefly, Spotted Sandpiper
pairs sorting out mating issues, at least nine Dickcissel's, four within
ear-shot of the silos and five more south along the roadside, Jeff reported.
Coyotes howled after the storm siren sounded at 9:00PM, three different
distant groups.

Tom & Jackie Bain
Delaware County