From:
richard banish <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
richard banish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2012 23:46:38 -0400
L_O_N_G day of birding today!
i entered the driveway to Magee Marsh @ 5:43
this morning - the first identifiable bird of the
day (sort of) was an owl carrying breakfast (before
i reached the Visitor's Center). i thought it may have
been a Barred Owl, but was told this was not possible -
so Bird #1 was Owl sp. (1)

First stop was East Beach where i watched an incredible sunrise!!
i walked the beach until 6:25 - i had 26 species, the highlight
probably being a Dark-eyed Junco (along with a number of
the usual suspects)

@ 6:30 i arrived @ the west entrance where i meandered
the boardwalk until 10:00 -
47 new species there (not seen @ East Beach)
highlights were 19 warbler species -
Yellow
Northern Parulas
Blackburnians
Tennessees
Prothonotary(s)
Common Yellowthroats
Yellow-rumpeds
Black & Whites
Magnolias
Wilson's
Chestnut-sideds
American Redstarts
Blackpolls
Bay-breasteds
Nashvilles
Ovenbird
Cape Mays
Canadas
Black-throated Blues
PLUS
Black-billed Cuckoo
Sedge Wren (we heard about it and drove back toward
     Vis Center and heard/saw SWren along dike)
American White Pelicans (3)
Philly Vireos

10:05 is Ottowa (trail was closed for construction)
yields 5 new species - highlight was
Cooper's Hawk

on the road again (to Oak Openings) - the
trip yields 2 new - RTHawks and TVultures

11:30 is arrival time @ Oak Openings -
i get 8 new species -
we have misses with Summer Tanagers
and Blue Grosbeaks, but with the help of
Sherrie Durris i get
Blue-winger Warblers
also get Lark Sparrows

2:15 finds me @ Metzger
7 new species
Dunlin
Black Tern (3)
Black-bellied Plover
BW Teal
Semipalmated Plovers
Least Sandpipers
Spotted Sandpiper

3:15 is back @ Magee
8 new species - highlights
Connecticut Warbler
NWaterthrush
Black-throated Green Warbler

@ 5;30 i walk part of the estuary trail
where i add 4 new species

now it's on the road again where i add
5 driving (new) species - cool were -
Wild Turkey
Casp Tern

7:25 is stop @ Sandy Ridge (Lorain Cty)
9 new species -
Sol Sandpiper
Marsh Wren
Virginia Rail
Sora

and on the way home the last 2 are added
Cowbird
Rock Pigeon

TOTAL for the day was 124 species!!!

buster

ps - thanks to birding buddy Haans and all
those who pointed out and shared info along
the way!